Welcome to the Metadata Working Group. I want to thank all the participants who joined with enthusiasm the group wishing to all of you a fruitful and stimulating collaboration .
Metadata are extremely important to extend data longevity, to facilitate data reuse and sharing and to preserve historical records of long-term data.
The aim of the group is to produce Metadata guidelines to support the activity of Gebco-NF-Seabed2030.
The main objectives of the MWG are:
1. Review of the metadata standards, tools and catalogues in use within the involved participant institutions and implemented within national and international projects.
2. Review of metadata vocabularies and thesaurus.
3. Discuss the pros and cons of different standards and tools in relation to Gebco-NF-Seabed2030 activities.
4. Discuss possible interaction among ongoing metadata initiatives.
5. Produce metadata Guidelines and best practice for bathymetric and related data.
How to start:
Actions related to objective 1
Action 1: Collection of general information about metadata standards, tools and catalogues from MWG participants.
Action 2: Collection of presentation (.ppt or .pdf with notes) showing the Metadata standards, tools and catalogues in use within different instituting and ongoing projects.
Action 3: Discussions and questions in relation to presentations.
(Discuss the possibility of organizing a “webinar” to present different projects).